What is the first step I should take if I am currently serving in a different branch and want to join an SW careerfield?

Speak with a SW recruiter they will make sure you are eligible and give you a list of all documents needed for you to transfer.  Speak with your leadership and see if they would sign a DD form 368 conditional release.